RSS

Friday, March 6, 2020

Keith's Broken Leg Update


I'm sorry to report that the news is not good.  Keith has cancer in his left, front leg.  The leg fracture is not healing properly and is not likely to ever heal properly.

Consequently, I'm now faced with a difficult decision.  I'm exploring the possibility of amputation.  I'm not at all sure that I want to go down that road.  Keith's vet, Dr. Fletcher, wants me to carefully consider amputation as an option.  My main concern with Keith's leg amputation is his age:  Keith will be 10 in April.

However, I've been in contact with other GPA folks that have had leg amputations on their Greyhounds, and most have been quite positive and happy with the result, even at an advanced age.

It's uncertain whether the cancer has spread to other parts of Keith's body.  The next step is to take x-rays of his chest & lungs.

As always, I want to do what is best for Keith.

As for now, he continues to wear a splint.  

I'll continue to post progress reports.

-Barry

2 comments:

Brian Newton said...

Tough decision. I had a friend who had her greyhounds leg amputated and the cancer came back,in other areas.The one thing we never want to do is harm our best friend. Prayers for you both.

Greyhoundude said...

@Brian Newton - You're right...it's a tough decision. My next step is to have his chest and lungs x-rayed. Only if they are clear will I consider amputation. Thanks for the support!

Post a Comment